WorldFish Vacancy Regional Director (Lusaka, Zambia)
Do you want to make a difference? Do you want to improve the lives of the poor? If so we want to hear from you.
WorldFish, a member of the CGIAR Consortium, is an international, nonprofit research organization. CGIAR is a global partnership that unites organizations engaged in research for a food secure future. CGIAR research is dedicated to reducing rural poverty, increasing food security, improving human health and nutrition, and ensuring more sustainable management of natural resources. It is carried out by the 15 centers who are members of the CGIAR Consortium in close collaboration with hundreds of partner organizations, including national and regional research institutes, civil society organizations, academia, and the private sector.
WorldFish is committed to meeting two key development challenges: 1) improving the livelihoods of those who are especially poor and vulnerable in places where fisheries and aquaculture can make a difference and 2) achieving large scale, environmentally sustainable, increases in supply and access to fish at affordable prices for poor consumers in developing countries.
A unique opportunity has arisen for gifted individuals to contribute to the mission of the organization.
REGIONAL DIRECTOR (Lusaka, Zambia)
Reporting to the Deputy Director General, the Regional Director will provide strategic leadership to achieve growth and impact in the African Region, and strengthen the WorldFish brand in Africa and beyond through effectively positioning the organization for excellence in high quality research that leads to demonstrated outcomes and impact, in line with our mission to reduce poverty and hunger.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- Enable consistent, strong and well-managed growth of WorldFish in Africa region through significant fundraising outcomes
- Build long-term relationships at the highest level with investors, partners, governing bodies and key stakeholders to promote WorldFish science, and to increase awareness of the importance of fish as a food source
- Lead regular cycles of strategy design and execution for the Africa region, effectively track, monitor and report on progress to the Board of Trustees, DG, and the broader WorldFish leadership
- Ensure an integrated program of work in the region; crossing geographies, disciplines and program vehicles (CRPs and bi-laterals) and underpinned by high quality internal and external partnerships. Lead and role model effective communications and information sharing within Africa region, with other WorldFish regions and with Headquarters
- Lead and mentor WorldFish leaders within Africa region to continually improve the Center’s performance in the region
- Establish and achieve robust growth targets for the region, built on a foundation of high quality research and people
- Be accountable for strategic allocation of budget and staff resources to facilitate maximum returns on investment Guide direct reports in meeting Center and project objectives by establishing clear performance standards and holding individuals and teams accountable to these
- Contribute to leadership of the design and execution of the WorldFish global strategy and actively participate in global leadership meetings and forums
Candidates are sought with:
- A Master’s degree or PhD in relevant discipline, with demonstrated personal success in leading Africa region multi-country fundraising for grants in USD5 -10 million range
- 5+ years’ experience based in Africa in a senior level Africa Region leader position. Experience working across multiple countries in Africa region, including sub-regions of SSA, northern and west Africa
- Strong understanding of research applied in agricultural research for development environments with an emphasis on fisheries and aquaculture
- Excellent relationship development and management skills
- Strong entrepreneurial and influential style with demonstrated success in establishing innovative partnerships
- Strategic leader and thinker with demonstrated ability to design and execute a 3-5 year rolling regional strategy with a focus on growth and impact
- Demonstrated understanding of the importance of fisheries and aquaculture evidenced through proposal development and presentations to investors
- Exceptionally creative, analytical, and English language communication skills as applied to research, partner relations, strategy development, project design. Ability to provide consistently strong leadership in an environment of change and uncertainty
This position will be based at WorldFish’s country office in Lusaka, Zambia. The initial employment contract will be for a three-year term, with possibility of renewal. We offer a competitive compensation in USD and benefits package commensurate with the job level.
WorldFish is committed to developing an inclusive work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and experience is valued in support of individual performance and potential, as well as our business goals and mission. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries are encouraged to apply.
How to apply:
Interested applicants are invited to submit their application and the following information with subject line
“APP020115: Regional Director/<Candidate Name>” to
email@example.com specifying where you saw the job announcement:
i) a letter of application including a 300 word (max.) description of why you are an ideal candidate and what you would bring to the role
ii) a current curriculum vitae
iii) names and contacts (telephone, fax, and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience.
Initial screening will start on 31 January 2015, and will continue until the post is filled. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Please visit our website at www.worldfishcenter.org for more information on the organization.
WorldFish is committed to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality.